Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Memorial Day Visitors

Over Memorial Day weekend Brad and I had some visitors from Korea come and stay with us! I had a hard time with their Korean names, so we gave them American names for the trip: Justin and Spencer (much easier for me!) Luckily for me, Justin's job is to teach English in Korea, so we were able to communicate in short & simple sentences. Spencer (his 10 year old nephew) didn't know any English... but Brad was able to serve as translator and it all worked out.

We had a great time making Korean food, going to church, exploring Berkeley & the Oakland temple, golfing, and eating a great American dinner of pizza and cherry coke. Yum!

Brad also introduced Spencer to the game of football. They went out into our front yard and played catch for a couple of hours. When Brad told Spencer he could take the football back to Korea with him, his eyes got so big and he couldn't believe it. He couldn't wait to get home and show his 2 brothers.

The day before they left, Justin asked Brad what I would like as a thank you gift. (That is a big part of Korean culture.) Brad told him that I liked fruit... so they went to the grocery store and came home with: 5 lbs of cherries, 2 lbs of strawberries, 2 grapefruits, 4 oranges, 10 peaches, and 1 lb of various berries. I couldn't believe it! (Not to mention, he had already brought me a beautiful hanbok dress that was more than enough thanks!) Brad tried to tell him that just a few pieces of fruit would be enough, but Justin wanted to get me a little of everything. It was so nice. We affectionately called Justin the "fruit king" after that.

Despite the language & culture differences, I loved having Justin and Spencer stay with us. It goes without saying how much Brad loved it. His love of Korea has not faded one bit since he returned from his mission almost 4 years ago. He has stayed in contact with many of his converts and friends and calls them regularly. His Korean isn't half bad either!

We really hope we can get to Korea sometime in the next couple of years and see them all!

2 comments:

Jill Revell said...

How fun! I love how sweet Justin was to give you all of that fruit.

Sean and Abby said...

very cool, I want to see more pics!